When you are undergoing the divorce and contemplating the divorce then you are wishing to obtain child maintenance Singapore or child support from the spouse.
Who is obliged for paying child maintenance?
If you are the parent of a child who is under 21 years of age in Singapore then you are required to pay for the child’s maintenance in Singapore. This is required to support your child’s education and other essential things. This is because every parent is having their legal duty for maintaining the child until the child turns 21 years old.
This duty exists until you or your spouse are still married to each other or whether the child is legitimate. This duty also exists if the spouse is remarried.
The court will order the payment of the child maintenance in the form of a lump sum or monthly allowance.
- The court will consider the factors which are stated in the women’s charter in section 69(4) for deciding the grant for child maintenance.
- Financial needs of the child
- Earning capacity, income, property, and another financial resource of your and your spouse
- If any Mental and physical disability of the child
- Age of your and your spouse
- Marriage Duration
- Contribution of your and your spouse in family welfare
- Standard living enjoyed by the child before refusing about the reasonable maintenance to the child
- How the child is being educated and trained when living with both the spouse
- Any conduct of your or your spouse which can disregard to the court